Let’s start our journey with some basic guidelines that can help you get through most of the information packed in the chapters ahead. Here are Ten Commandments of Green Beauty. Memorize them and repeat them every time you crave that new shimmery pink blush, dreamily squeeze and sniff a flower-scented lotion at the beauty counter, or read about a celebrity must-have hair mousse in a glossy magazine.
Once you learn these commandments, you will gain a better perspective on what you are really paying for at cosmetic counters, and whether any of this can hurt your skin and put you at risk for a serious medical condition in the future.
- Thou shalt not buy beauty products that contain phthalates, formaldehyde, phenols, sodium laureth sulfate, coal tar, toxic dyes, and synthetic fragrances.
- Thou shalt not buy cosmetics based solely on advertising claims or celebrity endorsements. Very few celebrities actually use the products they advertise. Neither do models whose faces are used in the ads, no matter what models say in interviews.
Read the label, scan the ingredients list online using the Skin Deep (www.ewg.com) tool for chemical hazards, read online reviews, and then decide whether this product is worth your money or not.
- Thou shalt not believe that just because a cosmetic product is called “natural” it is generally safer. Cosmetics may claim to be “natural” or made with “organic” ingredients, but may still include paraben and formaldehyde preservatives, synthetic fragrances, phthalates, or other toxic ingredients.
- Thou shalt not believe that you have to spend a lot of money on organic beauty products. Many inexpensive natural cosmetic lines have wonderful products that perform just as well as expensive ones because most plant extracts, vitamins, and minerals are not exclusive to one company.
High-quality ingredients do not necessarily cost a lot more; many cosmetic companies buy ingredients from the same farm or wholesale supplier. There are many organic beauty manufacturers who grow their own ingredients, too. The only difference may be the concentration of these plant juices and extracts, and in the next chapters, you will learn how to choose products that really deliver.
- Thou shalt not believe there is such a thing as a magic beauty bullet. There are no secret ingredients that can instantly cure all your skin’s woes, but there are many new, effective active ingredients that can do wonders for your skin.